PARISH OF MORTLACH.

At the south west corner of the church a mural monument is thus inscribed :

” Hoc conduntur tumulo, reliquiæ Alexandri Duff de Keithmore et Helenæ Grant, uxoris suæ charissimae : Qui quadraginta annos et ultra, felici et fæcundo connubio juncti, vixerunt. Uterq. Quidem ingenue natus. Ille ex nobilissimis Fifæ Thanis per vetustam familiam de Craighead, paulo abhinc superstitem, proxime et legitime oriundus : Ilia ex splendida et potenti Grantæorum familia, eodem quoq. modo originem trahens. Ortu non obscuri, suis tamen virtutibus illustriores ; opibus affluxerunt, et liberis ingenue educatis, floruere pie, juste et sobrie vixerunt ; et sic in Domino mortem obiere; Ilia anno Domini 1694, ætatis suæ sexagesimo.”

“In this tomb are laid the remains of Alexander Duff of Keithmore and Helen Grant, his dearest wife, who lived forty years and more, joined in a happy and fruitful wedlock. They both lived frankly the family of Craighead, surviving a little ago, next and legitimately descended; she is of the splendid and powerful family of the Grantaeans, also of the same family. originating only. Not of an obscure origin, but more distinguished by his virtues; wealth abounded, and children upbringed frankly, flourished godly, lived justly, and soberly; and thus they died of death in the Lord; In the year of our Lord 1694, in the sixtieth year of his age.

Alexander Duff served under the Marquis of Montrose, and was some time imprisoned by the Covenanters. He died in the year 1700, at the age of seventy-six. Along with four daughters he left three sons, who were respectively designated of Braco, Dipple, and Craigston. William Duff, eldest son of the proprietor of Dipple, represented some years the county of Banff in Parliament, and was in 1735 raised to the peerage as Baron Braco, of Kilbryde. In 1759 he was created Viscount Macduff, and Earl of Fife. The present Earl of Fife is his lineal descendant.

In the north wall of the church a stone effigy in armour is supposed to represent Alexander Leslie, first baron of Kininvie ; he died about 1549. The grandson of his third son, George, who received the lands of Drummine, was the celebrated General Alexander Leslie, afterwards Lord Balgonie, and Earl of Leven. Isobel Leslie, eldest daughter of the fifth baron of Kininvie, was mother of Archbishop Sharp. In the churchyard John Leslie of Kininvie (uncle of the Archbishop) commemorates his wife Helen Grant, who lived with her husband sixty years and departed llth May, 1712, in the eighty-second year of her age. The family of Kininvie is now represented by George A. Young Leslie, Esq., the present proprietor.

A marble tablet in the church is thus inscribed.

M.O.V.S. : Mri. Hugonis Innes, filij honorabilis viri Joannis Innes de Leichnet, qui, cum annos triginta quatuor, sacra in hoc templo peregisset, obijt anno Christi MDCCXXXII., natus annos LXVIII. Posuit hoc monumentum pia ac dilectissima conjux Eliz. Abernethie filia domini de Mayen.”

M.O.V.S. : Mr. Hugh Innes, son of the honorable man John Innes de Leichnet, who, at the age of thirty-four, had performed the rites in this temple, died in the year of Christ 1732, aged 68 years. His loving and beloved wife Eliz. Abernethie daughter of the lord of Mayen.

Mr. Innes was celebrated for his bodily strength. His family, Innes of lichnett sprung from Sir Robert Innes of that ilk. His wife was descended from Abernethy of that ilk in Perthshire.

Major Cameron, a distinguished Indian officer is by a memorial tablet celebrated thus :

“To the memory of Major John Cameron, C.B., KI.C. Native Infantry, on the establishment of St. George, who after serving his country in India for thirty-two years, both in civil and military capacity, and particularly in most of the principal events during that period, died on the 15th June, 1838 while officiating as Resident at the Court of Hyderabad, aged 47 years. This tablet has been erected to his memory, and placed in the church of his native parish, by a few of his friends in India, as a mark of esteem and affection for his public and private character.”

In the churchyard a tombstone bearing the Farquharson arms has, with the date 1417, the following legend :

” Hie iacet honorabilis vir Robertvs Farquharson de Lauchtitvany qui obiit mar de quinto meri anno dni. mo quo. xio sexto cum sua pro piqiet.”

Here rests, with his kindred, an honourable man, Robert Farquharson of Lauchtitvany, who died at noon on the 5th of March, 1417.”

Canmore; location site of Lochtervandich

A tombstone commemorates Alexander Sturm, merchant, Dufftown, who died in April, 1848. His son James Sturm, who died at Hampstead, 7th May, 1869, bequeathed, among other legacies for charitable purposes, 3000 to Mortlach parish.

A sculptured stone in the haugh of the Dullan is believed to have been erected by King Malcolm, to celebrate the overthrow of an army of Danes.

On Mortlach hill a monument has lately been erected in honour of Charles, tenth Marquess of Huntly, who died 18th September, 1863. The monument is sixty feet in height ; it consists of a plain obelisk resting on a pedestal of grey granite. An inscription bears that it was reared by the tenantry on the late Marquess’s estates.